How To Make Homemade Marshmallows

Yes, you could spend $16.50 on a package of fifteen gourmet marshmallows from Williams-Sonoma.  Or, you could make them yourself, which will net you some pretty amazing results like:

• Adoring oohs and aahs from every single person who find out you made them yourself. Be sure not to cut them too perfectly so it’s clear they’re homemade. ;)
  • Major cost savings – probably a couple of bucks for the entire pack, rather than $1.00 each.
  • The satisfaction of tasting the most incredible soft, creamy homemade marshmallow and knowing that you made them yourself.

Watch the video for a step-by-step visual tutorial of how to make marshmallows, including some helpful tips to know when enough whipping is enough.

Here’s the recipe:

Homemade Marshmallows

You will never want Jet-Puff in your hot chocolate again!

.75-oz unflavored gelatin (3 envelopes of Knox gelatin)
3/4 cup water, divided
2 cups granulated sugar
2/3 cups light corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 tsp peppermint extract (optional)
red food coloring (optional)
1/4 cup powdered sugar
2 T cornstarch

Lightly grease a 9 x 9-inch baking pan. If you have a flexible silicon pan, use it! If not, you can use any metal or glass pan.  It’s just easier to remove the marshmallows from the silicon pan.

In a large mixing bowl (or bowl of a stand mixer if you have one), sprinkle the gelatin over 1/2 cup cold water and allow it to dissolve for about 5-10 minutes.

Combine sugar, corn syrup, and 1/4 cup water in a small saucepan. Bring the mixture to a very  hard boil and cook for one minute (no need for a candy thermometer).  Make sure you stir it frequently, and be careful – this mixture is very hot!

Pour the boiling syrup on top of the gelatin and begin whisking on high.  A stand mixer will make this job much easier, though I’ve used a hand mixer with no problem.  Just be aware it’s possible that you could burn up your mixer using it on high for this long!

Add the salt and whisk on high for about 10 minutes.  At about 8 minutes in, I begin dipping my finger into the mixture and dropping a small dollop on the counter to test how close it is to “done”.  If you drop a dollop on the counter and within 30-60 seconds, it starts to firm up like you would imagine a marshmallow would, you can probably stop whipping.  Ten minutes is usually enough; you can go as long as 12 if you’re unsure.

The only marshmallows my husband will eat plain!

At the end of the mixing, add the vanilla and peppermint extract (if using).  Pour half of the marshmallow mixture into the pan, then swirl around a few drops of red food coloring (if making peppermint marshmallows).  Pour the rest of the mixture on top, then swirl in a little more food coloring.

Allow the marshmallows to set until firm – usually about 4-5 hours.

Once firm, combine 1/4 cup powdered sugar and 2 T cornstarch in a bowl.  Use a pair of kitchen scissors to cut the marshmallows into cubes.  It helps prevent sticking if you dip your scissors in the powdered sugar mixture between each cut.

Toss each marshmallow in the powdered sugar mixture and that’s it – you’re done!  Store in a semi-airtight container.  I’ve found that if they are in a completely airtight container, they tend to get a little soggy; so we usually leave the lid just barely cracked.

Even More Variations To Try

There are endless customization possibilities for these homemade marshmallow! Continuing with the peppermint theme, you could crush candy canes and spread them on the bottom of the pan and then on top of the marshmallows before they set.

Chocolate-dipped marshmallows would be yummy, or could you try tossing them in cocoa powder instead of powdered sugar!

How about coconut extract, or maple?  The possibilities are endless.

Note: I found this recipe online somewhere and have adapted the instructions to be a little bit more beginner-friendly, but have no idea where the original recipe came from!

This post is linked to Tasty Tuesday Parade of Foods.

Photo credits: bochalla, najjie and knitsteel

Comments

1. Hmmm, I’m interested in trying these now. It seems like a lot more work than buying a pack at the Commissary, but I bet these taste a whole lot better!
    Toni

• The longer it takes to make, the better it taste :D . Only the best take time.

• You’re right!
      I want to try these out too!
      They look great,and store-bought marshmallows are expensive.

2. We love homemade marshmallows, but I have never tried peppermint ones. These look really good.

3. I’m bookmarking this recipe for sure. My kids LOVE hot chocolate and they’d LOVE to these marshmallows. May just have to incorporate making marshmallows into a cooking lesson for school. :)

4. I never in a bazillion years would have thought to make my own marshmallows. Fun! (And what a neat gift idea!)

5. I bought plain gelatin last year to do this and forgot. Thanks for the reminder. Think I’ll try your recipe since it’s tried and true :)

• Hehe, I know the feeling! I bought several boxes of gelatin last year thinking I was going to make TONS of marshmallows. Didn’t happen. :)

• Jen @ Canadian rhapsody says:

I bought 3 boxes last year to do these and just today realized there are 4 packets per box. Oops!

6. This looks just like the recipe I use! The marshmallows are a huge hit over here too. I like to make them and give them out with a package of homemade hot chocolate mix as well. Site looks fantastic Carrie!

7. Do you think if you used splenda they would turn out the same?

• birthrightrose says:

I don’t think that Splenda would work in this recipe. You could try it, but sometimes there is no replacement for the icky white sugar! If it did work there would be Sugar-free mallows all over the store shelves!

• Yeah, I think I agree with birthrightrose – I don’t *think* it would work the same, but I’ve never cooked with Splenda so I can’t really say for sure since I don’t know what’s different about cooking with it.

• The Splenda may work but I would try it with the regular Splenda rather than the baking Splenda. The type you get in the big bag for baking purposes has a different texture and weight compared to the little packets which I think may pose the problem.

8. wow, these look fabulous – thanks for a great video tutorial!! I’m definitely adding these to my holiday baking list.

9. Do you know if this could be done with either honey or maple syrup instead of the corn syrup? Does the texture depend on the corn syrup? I want to try, but don’t want to waste a batch. Great video!

• Hi, Angel! I’ve actually thought about trying to re-invent this recipe using homemade sugar syrup, but haven’t yet. I don’t think maple syrup would work as it’s pretty thin.

Honey might – have you ever tried any other candy recipes with honey? Did they work?

• Hi, I have a receipe my family has made for years and we made our own syrup, boiling 2 cups of white sugar with 1 3/4 cups water till syrupy (kind of stringy, about 15 minutes). We dissolved 2 tbsp. of unflavored getatin in 1/2 cup water. We added some vanilla to the syrup, then mixed all with the dissolved gelatin and mixed with mixer for about 10 minutes and spread in pan to cool and then cut into pieces and roll in nuts or crushed cornflakes or other cereal.

• I have a friend whose son has a corn allergy, hence, I went looking for a corn syrup free recipe. Here’s a link I found to one that uses maple syrup – hopefully it can help some others too!!

• I have never made marshmallows before. I tried these last night and used honey instead of the corn syrup and they are fantastic. I had 2 children and another adult test them and they got raves. I can’t believe how easy they are to make. I will make them again. I made these for my grandchildren who are coming for a week to Nana’s Camp. I know they will love them. And, how wonderful that they have healthier ingredients than those in the store.

• Yay! So glad they worked out well with the honey! I’m sure your grandchildren will love them.

• We made maple-flavored marshmallows by replacing half of the corn syrup with maple syrup and adding imitation maple extract instead of the peppermint at the end – they turned out SO GOOD. I don’t think it would work super well to replace ALL of the corn syrup with the maple syrup, but half seemed to be a good compromise.

10. Whoa! These look awesome. I’ve seen posts on hm marshmallows before but always thought it would be too difficult, but I was definitely wrong!

And, I have everything needed to make them on hand. So, I think we’ll be making some SOON!

11. How long will these last in the air tight container? Can they be frozen? I have all of these ingredients and can’t wait to try this recipe!!

• I made homemade marshmallows a few years ago for the holidays and I froze mine and they lasted several months that way. Mine were coated in chocolate. BUT my grandma told me to store all my marshmallows (store bought) in the freezer to keep them soft and that works great.

• Haven’t tried freezing, but sounds like it might work! I would keep them for about a week in the container if you’re eating them plain. They’re fine for probably at least 2 weeks if you’ll be using them in hot cocoa. The edges start to dry out after about a week so they’re not the best for eating plain after that.

12. How much powdered sugar and corn starch do you mix together to dip them in? They look really yummy!

• Julie, about 1/4 cup of powdered sugar and 2 T cornstarch. I updated the recipe to reflect that. :)

• Dear Carrie
        I just watched the you tube video and visited this site to get the recipe, ther is a small mistake in the water quantity in both the video and here as well. in the video you state 1/2 cup and add that to the gelatine and for melting the corn syrup you add water without stating quantity. Also here the ingredient list states 3/4 cup and 1/4 cup water in two places, which is 1 cup in all. But in the directions for the gelatine you use 1/2 cup and 1/4 for the corn syrup. Pls correct if possible.

• I too noticed the water quantity mistake! Here I sit with all my ingredients ready but I’m not sure how much water to add to the corn syrup/sugar mix on the stove….thought coming to see this page would clear it up for me but I am confused even more :-)
          Help Carrie! How much water do I add to the stove mixture?!

• SANDRA ARSÉNIO says:

Hi Carrie,

Would it be possible to translate the “cups” and oz to kilos or grams? I really would like to try this, but i´m a bit confuse about the right measures.

Sorry for my inglish…i am portuguese.

Thank you so much.

Sandra Arsénio

13. I had to click through to the Williams-Sonoma page. I thought, “SURELY they don’t sell 15 marshmallows for $16.50.” That’s crazy!!

14. This sounds like something my kids and I would EAT UP! I can’t wait to try this!

Can I just say…I love your curls too! Too darling!

Have a Merry Christmas!
    Lana @ ilovemy5kids

15. Visiting from Money Saving Mom. These look amazing! I have never even considered making homeade marshmallows but I bet they tast divine.

Also great detailed video! :)

16. WOW, these look like so much fun! I want to try these this year! Thanks! :)

17. mmmm….looks good! I’m thinking Peppermint Bark/Crunch Marshmallows ;)

18. There is a woman at our church that makes Homemade Marshmallows for our bake sale. However, they never make it to the bake sale because the volunteers buy them and eat them all!!

After trying Homemade marshmallows, I no longer like the store bought ones. They taste stale and bland to me now so I guess I will have to try this recipe!

19. Wow, those look delicious! I am definitely going to need to add these to my cookie exchange baking list. A couple of these tossed on top of a plate of homemade cookies would really dress up the package. Thanks for the recipe and how-to!

20. My packets of gelatin are 1oz each, should I hold some back or will using the whole pack make a difference? Thanks!

• I would probably hold a little back, but honestly – they’re not fussy, it’s probably not going to make too much of a difference!

21. awesome! THanks, can’t wait to try these!!!

22. LOVE THIS!

Thanks for sharing this awesome how-to! My daughter will LOVE making these with me!

(And you’re right.. VERY impressive!!)

23. Wow. That looks so good. I cannot stand packaged marshmellows, except in hot chocolate. I’m going to have to try this. And I am linking back to your post on my blog. Thanks for sharing.

24. Do you think you can make caramel marshmallows? I was thinking about making smore’s as gifts and using your recipe.

25. First of all, thank you so much for posting this recipe! These are awesome!
    Secondly, due to a lack of planning on my part, I had to make some last-minute adjustments to this recipe, and ended up using brown sugar instead of white. The boiled mixture was dark brown, and I was convinced they would either not set up at all, or if they did, they’d look disgusting.
    I was wrong on both counts. The mixture was still very brown when I combined it with the gelatin, but the longer I beat them, the lighter they were, and in the end, they turned out to be a beautiful off-white color, just imperfect enough to suggest they are indeed homemade.
    You can taste the brown sugar a little in the final product, so if that’s not your thing, you might not want to try them that way. But otherwise, it works!

• Oh my goodness – great idea! Oh, wouldn’t they be pretty if you made one batch with white sugar and one with brown sugar and then mixed the finished ones together so they would be multi-colored?!

26. Sue Rogers says:

Oh My Goodness! I saw this this morning and knew I had to make them. Thank you so much for the great detailed video! After watching it I knew I could whip these up, and I did. I just dipped them in chocolate and then in crushed candy canes and they are to die for! I will be taking them to my Bible group tomorrow night. I have always wanted to try making these, your video convinced me I could. I am already making more. Thanks so much!

27. Wow! Very impressive! I may have to add this to my “Christmas Goodies” list to make.

Great job on the video Carrie!!! I’m also very impressed with everything you’ve done in the past week…..the GU sale, plus a whole new blog, homeschooling, you are indeed my definition of super-woman. ;) The new blog looks great….now you should go rest and put your feet up. :)

28. That is sooooo cool! My kids asked me years ago if you could make marshmallows at home and I told them I didn’t think so! I’m so excited and I have all the ingredients on hand. Thanks for sharing ;-)

29. Thank you so much for this tutorial! My 2 girls and I loved watching it (over and over). This is on our to-do list for tomorrow. We are excited to try it out!

30. How long will these marshmallows last? Just in case I would like to give some as gifts!

• They start to dry out after about 1 week, though they’re fine for melting in cocoa for awhile past that!

• I made these the other night and they are WONDERFUL!!! So… I don’t think if you have a sweet tooth or kids in the house, you’ll even have to worry about storing them. They get eaten VERY quickly! Thanks for the recipe!

31. I’d like to do these with variations for alergies (can’t eat the store bought kind AT ALL!!) and I was wondering why you need powdered sugar AND corn starch together? (corn starch is the issue) Would just powdered sugar work?

• BTW: I saw martha stewart make hm marshmallows several years ago and it looked very conplicated! Your video makes it look SOO Much easier! I will be trying this – thanks to the lady who posted the corn free recipes….. hmmm my fudge recipe uses marshmallow cream…. wonder if I can use this?

• I’m sure it would! My *guess* is that the marshmallows will absorb the sugar a little more quickly than the cornstarch, so they may get “soggy”. But I’m sure you would be able to figure out how to get it to work!

• Try using cream of tarter (just a pinch or two) .. that should work as a drying agent as the cornstarch does .. can’t make any guarantees, but worth a try.

• JRA in CO says:

Thanks Carrie for the info – I wold never have guessed they could become soggy.
        Thanks Liz for the recommendation!

• JRA, here’s another recipe online that is completely corn free .. it uses potato starch or tapioca starch in place of the corn starch. If you’re looking for golden syrup, your best place would be a British store … otherwise, improvise on making your own sugar syrup & use the starch in the powdered sugar for coating. All the best!

• JRA in CO says:

Liz, Thanks for that recipe. I’m going to try it first with homemade syrup and see how it works… I’m still VERY new to a corn-free diet. I sure hope it works!! I LOVE marshmallows!!!

• You could try using arrowroot powder as a replacement for the cornstarch – I use it instead of cornstarch for thickening.

• You can use arrowroot in place of cornstarch in tons of recipes it has NO taste on its own and think it would perfectly for this recipe…
      Thanks so much for this recipe Carrie can not wait to try it need to get some gelatin first 8o)

32. Anyone know if you can make rice krispie treats with these?

• Nanaverm says:

I have. They turned out just as good as if made with store bought marshmallows! Actually, it’s great use for marshmallow “scraps” if you’re using a cutter to make shapes of the main part of the marshmallows.

33. Just made a batch–soo yummy! I don’t even like marshmallows but these are pretty dynamite with the peppermint! Can’t wait to make some hot chocolate with these in when they’re done setting up. Big seal of approval from my 2 1/2 year old, too!

34. Just made a batch & I attempted to “pipe” them into individual marshmallows – they’re setting up fairly quick! Now I’m beginning to wonder if these could work using a cookie press & make different shapes & designs. Anyone tried that? I’m sure it’ll be very sticky & messy as piping was interesting!

• Oh wow.. what a good idea! Did you use a regular piping ‘bag’ ? I was just thinking I could use my easy accent decorator (from Pampered Chef) and pipe some that way.. Could be super messy.. but what fun! Making smaller marshmallows, especially to make to give as gifts along with homemade hot cocoa mix is a great idea! Thanks!!

35. I didn’t use a regular piping bag … just a zip top bag. I loaded the mix in (pre-swirled in some food coloring), snipped a small hole in one corner & went to town. Definately pipe onto lightlly greased wax paper … they should set up in a couple of hours. I’d love to hear how your accent decorator works .. I may pull out my Pampered Chef cookie press if all goes well with you!

36. JRA in CO says:

I’ve tried this twice today, but it’s grainy…. I tried boiling it longer, but it’s still grainy…. any suggestions?
    Kids and hubby love them, but I wouldn’t give them as gifts until I can get the grainy-ness gone.

• JRA in CO says:

BTW: I’m using homemade “corn” syrup – it’s not grainy, so I doubt it’s that. My syrup was really thick(over cooked it), and the mallows set up in less than 2 hrs!
      OH! and I substituted arrowroot starch for corn starh- it tastes fine and seems to be doing the job too!

• Was it rainy or humid there today when you tried these? I have always heard not to make candy of any kind on rainy days and to butter the sides of the pot before starting the recipe.

37. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE these!!! My family of 6 is hooked. We are coming up w/ all kinds of yummy flavors, shapes and colors to try next. Just an fyi regarding the corn syrup….an easy substitution for 1 C corn syrup is 1 C sugar and 1/4 C water. Works everytime and makes this a corn free snack for all those allergy prone people, including my family! Thanks again for the yummy recipe!

38. HIlary N in CO too says:

I want to make this for workplace bake exchange coming up. Has anybody thought about using bottled liquer as a flavoring? I was wondering if the alcohol would create any problems.

39. I have a stand mixer but it has beaters and not a whisk…..would that still work? Thanks!

• You could try it, but I don’t *think* it will work very well. You’re basically doing the same thing that you’d do when whipping egg whites or cream. Not sure beaters would get enough air into the marshmallows.

• I have a hand mixer with a whisk…think I’ll try my hand at these first with that just to prove I can (lol) and then maybe I’ll try the stand mixer with beaters. I will let you know when I do, though it may be a while……

40. BTW, the subscription link to this entry is not working when I click on it below NOR when I follow the link from my confirmation email….it says that site doesn’t exist so I can’t confirm my subscription and therefore can’t be notified when someone comments on this post. Here is a copy/paste of the error message:
    “Sorry, we can’t find “denverbargains.com85″. We suggest that you check the spelling of the web address or search above”

41. These came out amazing! I will be making these for Christmas, I’m thinking of making coffee and chocolate and maybe one other flavor. Thanks so much for sharing the recipe. Oh, I used http://www.amazon.com/Progressive-LGK-3620-Stainless-Steel-Cutter/dp/B000T3KZXU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1291851660&sr=8-1 this to cut them up and it seemed to work much better and easier than scissors.

42. Lisa Merithew says:

Thank you for sharing with us. I have already passed this on to several friends who are planning on trying it also. This made a great edible homeschool project for the afternoon. :) I am going to give this to my children’s SS teachers this year.

43. Thanks for the recipe… I watched you twice while making these! Quick q… my mixture was almost too sticky to get out of the bowl! Yours was nice and scoop-able with your spatula, but mine… wow. It was a battle between me and the marshmallow to get into the bowl. Did I just mix it too long? I went 10 minutes exactly on high with my KitchenAid stand mixer.

44. Great video! I just made a batch and it is setting up as I type. I set aside a bit on a couple of spoons for the kids for them to give it the taste test…

I used my KitchenAid mixer as well, and mine was also a bit stickier than in the video. I think perhaps the larger whisk is cooling the mixture more than the hand mixer does in the same amount of time.

Next challenge will be cutting them apart.

• OK, I just cut them and it was a breeze. I ended up dumping them onto a piece of dusted parchment paper and using the scissors to cut them.

I think I made a bigger mess with the powdered sugar than with the actual marshmallow!

Thanks again!

45. Question I have some of those flexible molds like you had for your marshmallow square has anyone used any of those? I have penguins and cars and a wreath I was thinking a center piece and the kids would love the car?

• Oh wow, great idea! I’m sure it would work – my only concern would be how discernable the shapes would be. But, I don’t see why it wouldn’t work!

46. Alton Brown is where I first saw this recipe I never ventured to try it as I did not get to record it. I am a watch and then do person. I love your video.
    Here is his recipe as well he offers some variations as well. We are going to try our snowman mold like the pan that is used on the video. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/homemade-marshmallows-recipe/index.html

47. I was going to try this but did need to replace the corn syrup but wasn’t exactly sure how to do that. Do you use 2/3 cup of the syrup that you make from 1 c. sugar and 1/4 c. water or just not measure? Do you have to cook that mixture first to make it syrupy or just dump it in with the rest? Thanks for the help.

48. just wondering on the water measurement. 1/2C or 3/4 cup of water with the gelatin. shows 3/4 in ingrediants but 1/2 in instructions. have been following instructions and they have been fine, but just wondering.

49. I have a different water/sugar question. Mine is:

I was going to try this but did need to replace the corn syrup. I wasn’t exactly sure how to do that. Do you use 2/3 cup of the syrup that you make from 1 c. sugar and 1/4 c. water or just not measure? How do you add the syrupy water? Do you have to cook that mixture first to make it syrupy or just dump it in with the rest? Thanks for the help.

50. i made these this weekend (exactly as on your website), and they were a huge hit! thank you so much for posting this.

51. How do you replace the corn syrup with sugar and water? Make a 1 cup of sugar and 1/4 cup of sugar and only use 2/3 of a cup? My deadline is approaching. Thanks for any help.

• Beverly, I’m not sure since I haven’t tried it yet. I would simply make a very thick sugar syrup and use 2/3 cup of it.

52. Just curious as to whether anyone has attempted to make these with flavored Jello? I’m thinking about using strawberry jello to see how that works … anyone?

• I’ve thought about it, but haven’t tried it. I’m thinking it would work, though!

• Alright, since I have a bunch of jello from a Walgreens sale, I’m going to give it a shot later this week – will let you know how they turn out. I’m also thinking that I’m over-whisking the marshmallows as mine as so much stickier than yours when I’m pouring them into the pan.

53. My marshmallows are setting as I type. My ten year old son and I made them together. We also burned up our old mixette mixer! Well, we’ll see if Santa brings me the KitchenAid stand mixer I asked for. LOL! I’m really hoping he does now that I don’t have a mixer anymore. I’m hoping it lasted long enough to get them to the right consistency because it cut out kind of early I think. We’ll have to see how they taste once they set, if they set. Even if they don’t it was a lovely time for my son and I to spend together. Thanks for sharing and the video helped a lot!

54. I do think the mixer died too early because they weren’t as light as yours looked. Also, we skipped the peppermint because my husband doesn’t like it. Without the peppermint a tablespoon of vanilla is too much. Next time I may skip the vanilla or add just a bit, maybe a teaspoon. My daughter doesn’t like them and I think its because of the vanilla, its overpowering. Just thought I’d share our first experiment with marshmallows. Merry Christmas!

• Erin, out of curiousity, did you use pure vanilla, or imitation? Just wondering because someone else said something about vanilla, but she’d used artificial extract and I’m wondering if that makes a difference.

55. Just looked at the bottle and it said pure vanilla extract. I think the vanilla and the peppermint balance each other. Without the peppermint its just too strong. I made a hot cocoa recipe that called for cinnamon in it. I left it out because I like mine plain and it tasted funny, until I added the cinnamon. I think sometimes you just have to follow the recipe for a balanced flavor. At least that’s the best I can figure.

56. So, I’ve been experimenting with mine – I did make some from jello, but would recommend using one packet flavored to two packs unflavored gelatin – it’s overpowering otherwise.
    Corn free – the best recipe was posted here by another commenter. 2c sugar and 1 & 1/2 cups water. Heat to softball stage (approx 250F on candy thermometer). Add to gelatin that has been dissolved in 1/2c water & whisk for 8-10 mins. They set up beautifully – I covered them with a powdered sugar & tapioca starch mix (on sale at King Soopers right now).
    As to the vanilla – I didn’t find it overpowering at 1T without the peppermint .. could just be individual taste, so adjust to your own desire!
    Thank you so much for the recipe & to all the commenters – it really helps in tweaking recipes!
    Merry Christmas.

57. Wow! We just made these and I am so impressed. Fabulous! Thanks so much for sharing!
    Shannon in Indiana <

58. Just curious…will this possibly burn up a stand mixer or is that warning just for hand mixers?

I’d hate to burn up my stand mixer with the whisking and not be able to replace it!

• Your stand mixer should be fine, but I take no responsibility. ;) I’ve used my hand mixer dozens of times and it’s fine.

59. I made these this afternoon – what a blast! Thanks so much for this clear tutorial, and all the previous comments. I made the whole batch with vanilla, dipped half out into a silicone mini-loaf pan, then mixed peppermint for the rest. I plan to make more Christmas afternoon.

60. This is great! Before I go to the store to get all I need, can you tell me if you’ve ever made Chocolate Marshmallow’s? I thought about using Cocoa, Powered sugar and cornstarch to roll them in at the end. My husband would also like to know if you think swirling in chocolate syrup instead of food coloring would work? So many questions..lol Thanks again for this great recipe.

• You could try using cocoa to roll them in, though I’m not sure how that would look aesthetically. Chocolate syrup would probably not be a good idea, as it wouldn’t mix in with the marshmallows and set up like the food coloring does; melted chocolate would probably be better.

61. Carrie— Do you know if i could use a blender instead of beaters or mixers???

• Hi, Ryley – I wouldn’t use a blender, I don’t think that would whip air into like it needs and it would be a gigantic sticky mess to get out!

• Ok, thanks. I went and got a electric mixer. Much easier. I just finished doing the food coloring part so now im just sitting here. They look like the turned out good.

62. carrie I just made this recipe now and I’m waiting for two and a half hour to look eat it, but I did’t find the corn cyrup so I boil some water with Cornstarch is it ok?

• Hmm… I’m thinking water with cornstarch wouldn’t be the equivalent of corn syrup but I guess you can try it and see it if turned out!

63. @laila – no water and cornstarch will not = corn syrup. Other recipes I have seen say it is ok to sub honey, golden syrup (apparently this is an English product available on Amazon), and/or maple syrup. the corn syrup is the sugar of the marshmallow, and corn starch and water is nothing more than thickener.

64. Thanks for this recipe and video. I made the Martha Stewards ones a few years ago, and people are still talking about them and begging me to make more. In all honesty, they turned out well, but they were a HUGE sticky disaster and they were even harder to clean up afterwards.

So I look forward to making your USER FRIENDLY recipe. Thank you so much :)

65. would be great if you could put recipes into print mode..

66. We don’t have corn syrup in the UK is there something else I could use?

• If you read the comments above, some people have used honey with success – that might be worth a try!

67. hi, just got to c ur video..n i must say it looks really amazin, n i nvr gav a tot dat 1 cud make marshys @ home!!!! thanx a lot …i lovd d colorin part…:-))

68. those look really yummy! i would love to make them sometime

69. Hi.. i accidently bought dark corn syrup. will it be okay?? if not how much dark corn syrup should i use?

70. Hi.. i accidently bought dark corn syrup. will it be okay?? if not how much dark corn syrup should i use? please do help me i want to make these by tomorrow. thank u

• Kathy Mills says:

I think it would just give it a darker hue. But as someone noted above you can substitute for the 1 C corn syrup you would use 1 C sugar and 1/4 C water. That is the recipe I have made in the past. If you have kids plan on it being messy. But it was super fun. We made homeade easter egg marshmallows and dipped them in chocolate and sprinkles.

• Hmm… They will turn out darker and probably taste more caramely, but I think the consistency would be fine.

71. Hi Carrie!

That´s AWESOME! I would like to try this recipe but I don´t know how many grams you used. You wrote .75 oz and how many grams it is? Thank you. :)

72. Hopefully, here is a link to a conversion site: http://www.metric-conversions.org/weight/pounds-to-grams.htm

I couldn’t make it hot so it probably won’t work as a link, but google oz to grams conversion and it should give you something. Also, when I held my cursor on the .75 oz. there was some sort of conversion within the recipe. Good Luck. These are yummy marshmallows.

• Thank you BeverlyBL. It worked but on other site. .75 oz is 21.262 grams. :) I look forward to try these homemade marshmallows. Yum! :)

73. Been wanting to try these for a while, but I’m a little concerned about maxing out/killing my hand mixer, since all the reading I’ve done has shown that it might not be a good idea to try something this heavy-duty with anything but a stand mixer. I notice in the video, though, that a hand mixer is used, and it doesn’t appear to be under any duress. What sort of hand mixer do you have, and have you found it to be consistently reliable?
    Thanks for a great tutorial, by the way.

• I have a $15 hand mixer from Walmart and have used it quite a few times to make marshmallows – never had an issue, though I, too, was at first leary of using it due to horror stories I’d heard, but decided it was worth the risk. I can’t say for sure that yours will be fine, but I do know that my cheap hand mixer has done the job just fine!

74. Miss.Sicka says:

Just put a batch of these together and if they turn out as awesome as yours look i will be making another batch at the end of the week…. i do however think i may have added a little too much peppermint essence and so i plan to half dip them in chocolate.

one that i’m sure will be requested at every christmas do in the future

75. You can do Easter egg shaped ones for Easter. My kids and I did them last year and it was fun. You fill a 9×13 pan with flour and imprint a plastic easter egg in the flour and pour the marshmallow creme into them to cool dip in chocolate and let the kids go wild with sprinkles. It was messy with the kids but a great memory.

• When I say fill with flour I mean 2/3 of the way or 1/2 of the pan with flour enough to be able to make a good imprint for your design. We did a bunny shaped large easter egg imprint too it was cute. The sky is the limit with the shapes as long as you have something to make the impression in the flour with. I just had an idea the kids could do hand prints for grandparents day. That would be cute. May have to attempt that.

76. My daughters and I were looking at recipe vids and came across your on You Tube. I just made a batch and how easy!! Oh and my $5 hand mixer from Wal Mart did just fine. I plan on using this batch to make chocolate covered marshmallows. I spend almost $3 a stick on that treat at local candy stores, not any more. Thank you!

77. I live in Italy where marshmallows dont exist….I made a batch and took them to an Italian Christmas party where I was asked 1) what they were 2) could they have the recipe and 3) why dont they make these in Italy???? I took along a chocolate fondue pot and eveyrthing was devoured by the end of the evening. Thanks for your work in putting this post together!

78. Hi! I really liked the recipe and tried it. But for some reason they just didnt set. At first they went all runny so i added some gelatin after mixing it in hot water. it started to set then but after a few hours when i started to cut it it went gooe and all in the inside. What did i do wrong??

• Hmm, I’m not sure but I’m guessing there was a problem with adding gelatin and water out of order.

• so i tried making them again. I added like 8 tablespoons of gelatin and heated it for a little over a minute because someone suggested the temperature was not right. I mixed it for 10 min. It was drying really quick. i waited for 4 hours and the top got rubbery. When i took it out ov the pan it fell apart! :/ What am i doing wrong :/

• I would suggest reading through the instructions again… The gelatin isn’t supposed to be heated.

79. hey carrie what did you spray on the pan in the beginning? i’m sorry if i sound stupid i just really don’t have any idea so i ask.. @_@ i’m guessing.. oil? no? :<

80. Hi dear ,
    i love marshmallows and want to make them can you please please please tell me how much water should i take .. howmuch should i take when i add gelatin and how much should i take when i add corn syrup and sugar .. LOVED your recipe .. THANK YOU .. :)

81. wats cornsyrup? any substitute of it.. m new to cooking n baking.

• It’s a thick syrup made from corn, among other things. It’s usually available in the same place as pancake syrup, or maybe in the baking aisle.

• M From India .. is there any substitute for corn syrup?
        & is corn syrup is made by adding water into cornflour?

82. For Kashish –
    Here’s a recipe that doesn’t call for corn syrup – you can make a replacement, or you can just use a simple syrup (sugar + water) and agave nectar/honey. I made them for christmas and they are divine!

83. Please tell me how many spoons is this gelatin??

84. i tried this recipe again but it didn’t turnout right…. this time I heated the mixture for over a minute. Than i added about 8 tablespoons of gelatin. The mixture was very thick and quick drying.. but after 4 hours when it went all rubbery it was still all gooy inside..

85. Thank you for this recipe! I could not believe how simple and delicious these were! I decided to spread mine out in a 13×9 pan and thought they ended up being a good size. They made fantastic Christmas gifts along with some homemade hot cocoa mix!

86. these look fantastic and your directions and video look so clear! I will try these out soon!!

87. do you have to use geletine

88. Nanaverm says:

I made marshmallows using the same ingredients with instructions from a different site, and had to wrestle the goo into the pan. Think I cooked them too long, because they formed sugar strings like glass. This looks much easier! Thank you!

89. Candi May says:

I potty trained the little girl I babysit to go #2 by rewarding her with a few marshmallows for each success. (Trust me, NOTHING else worked!) And a year and a half later, she still wants a marshmallow each time she poops! Back around Thanksgiving, there were gingerbread flavored ones and they were her favorite. I’m thinking it might be yummy to try subbing 1/2 of the corn syrup with molasses, using brown sugar instead of white and adding ginger and cinnamon to the mix and powdered sugar coating for Christmas. (If I don’t forget by then!) :)

90. Interesting recepy, but could you please put the measurements in grams, not all countrys use a cup as a measurement standard

• I would suggest finding a recipe converter tool online; I know there are some and that’s the way I would have to convert it myself anyway. :)

91. i love your marshmallows :D

92. In Latvia I can’t find corn syrup!! I think there does not even exist one.
    Maybe it can be replaced by another product or syrup?

93. Instead of cornstarch can I use powdered sugar? Or it makes it too sweet?

94. Every recipe I have seen says to boil the sugar syrup to ~ 240 degrees. You don’t do that. Does that to make a difference with the marshmallow. The consistency of your marshmallow before it sets also looks more liquidy, because you beat it less, does that make a difference.

• I’m not sure – all I know is that what I do in the recipe above works for me consistently. :)

95. I came across yourto video on youtube and you made it look so easy. So i made it too! Lol! Turned out perfect!! Thanks for a great recipe!!!

96. My understanding is that corn syrup is added to candy mixtures to prevent the sugar from re-crystalizing as it cooks. The corn syrup is a slightly different form of sugar (I’m no chemist so I can’t tell you exactly how) that when mixed in gets in the way of the crystal formation. I think it is possible to omit the corn syrup if you are careful with your technique – greasing or washing down the sides of the pot helps prevent crystals from forming at the edge of the mixture. Stirring the boiling sugar mixture is also a big no-no and will lead to crystal formation.

I am pretty sure that adding honey, maple syrup, or molasses has the same effect as corn syrup – by adding a modified form of sugar you increase the likelihood of success. I have been able to get away without using corn syrup (or reducing the amount used substantially) – just keep in mind that its added to stop crystals from forming – if you are mindful of the other ways to accomplish this you can also get away without the corn syrup.

I think the majority of the older recipes I’ve tried do not call for corn syrup, while most of the newer ones call for almost equal parts corn syrup and sugar. Wow!

I haven’t tried making marshmallows (definitely going to try now), but I’ve used this type of substitution/omission for lolipops, butterscotch, toffee, caramels, etc.

97. Thank you for this recipe, these are amazing! I just found it looking for a good marshmallow recipe since an old one I had was way too complicated and the end result wasn’t as good.

Any suggestions for making a “gingerbread” marshmallow? The recipe I have calls for molasses in the syrup, and cinnamon, cloves and ginger in the gelatin. Way too much spice, even for a girl that has a container of cinnamon on her desk at work! Thanks again!

• Hmm, I haven’t tried a gingerbread marshmallow but I think the ingredients you listed would work well in small amounts!

98. Just got done making these for the third year in a row. I always making several batches of different varieties (smores, peppermint dipped in chocolate and candy canes, swirled with homemade caramel….). I’m thinking I might have to try a gingerbread one. Just wanted to say thanks for such an awesome and versatile recipe, my family looks forward to them every year.

99. Christmas number 3 using your recipe. Thank you for keeping it up. I am too lazy to just print it out lol. :)

100. I’ve been dying to make marshmallows since I got my stand mixer as a wedding gift and your recipe finally gave me the confidence to do it! I made these and my grandmother loved them so much I left most of them for her.

101. I made these for Christmas presents this year…Big hit! They turned out perfectly. Thanks for making it so easy to understand.

102. sanjay mehta says:

can you suggest me the replacement for gelatin. i am pure vegetarian and this will be my first cooking. i love marshmallow but i can not eat it as they are non-veg.

• I’m not sure what to suggest; I’m not vegetarian. Sorry!

• Hi,

in germany you can buy agar-agar as a vegetarian replacement for gelatin. It’s made from seaweed.
      Maybe there is something like that in your country.
      Good luck :)

• Evie5431 says:

Hey I know in the UK you can buy gelatin substitutes from most leading supermarkets. I know ASDA and Tesco’s do it. If you’re in america then maybe Walmart seeming that ASDA is its British equivalent?
      Hope it helps x
      (I’m a vegetarian too!)

103. I absolute adore this recipe. You’ve made it soo easy to follow? Thanks for sharing. What do you suggest for turning this recipe into cHocolate flavored marshmallows? Adding cocoa? Adding melted chocolAte? Thanks for your help

• I’ve tried swirling in melted chocolate and it didn’t work too well. I haven’t had a chance to try anything else, but stirring in melted chocolate as you whip it (rather than at the end) is what I’ll try next!

• Christina W says:

You can try getting the cocoa flavoring from the spice shop down town or I took the marshmellows waited until totally dry then sprinkled chocolate over them. yummy

104. Hi, I saw your movie and loved it. I’m looking for a good red food color and was wondering which color – and by what company – you’re using. Thank you!

105. sharon says:

That looks like the one by McCormick that I usually buy. It’s in the baking aisle and it comes in a little box of 4 colors I think…

106. Christina W. says:

We get our food colorings from here or natural grocery. So they have no corn in them or the other stuff.

107. do u think it works with honey instead of corn syrup?

• Christina W. says:

I don’t know I had not thought of using honey. hmmm But we can’t have any corn for my son.

108. Elisabete says:

Can i use something else instead of the corn syrup? I’m from Portugal and it’s not easy to find that on the stores…

109. Thank you for the recipe..I did and it tasted amazing.I used honey instead of the corn syrup.but what happened when I combined it over rice krispies it didn’t stick..the krispie bars were soft even when I left it for more than an hour..any advice how can this work? to become more sticky?

• Christina W. says:

Hi Moe, I have not found a good substitute for corn syrup yet either. My son loves marshmallows but now that we found out he is allergic to corn and all corn bi products, he can’t have any.

• Yeah, I’ve never had success making crispy Rice Krispy bars with homemade marshmallows – they are just too soft.

110. Abbey Stone says:

Hey Carrie,
    What do I do if the mixture is too liquidy?

~Abbey

• Sophie Pakes says:

I would say keep beating the mixture. Is it on high speed? Just keep going until it looks like it does in the video

111. Sophie Pakes says:

Just made these, THEYRE ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS!!! Thanks so much for the AMAZING recipe! So much easier than other marshmallows. and the best! Taking them into school tommorow for my history class, theyre going to LOVE them!!
    Thanks again
    PS i am still in school, lol, im only 13 and made these all on my own and didnt get burnt. thanks again!

112. I made these tonight and they turned out great! I had originally found a different recipe (Martha), but it was really confusing, so I turned to YouTube to see if I could find a demonstration. That’s when I found this recipe and used it instead. I’m so glad I did! I didn’t have any liquid food coloring, only gel, so I dipped a toothpick in the gel then swirled in the color that way. They look fine, but liquid food color would have been better. Also, I started out with my kitchen shears when it came to slicing, but got impatient (haha), and turned to my super-sharp chef knife instead. I sprinkled my cutting board with the cornstarch mixture, turned out the marshmallows (I used lightly sprayed parchment paper for a liner in a metal pan and they came right out), dusted my knife before each slice, and was done in no time. The funny thing is that I don’t really care for marshmallows, but these are AMAZING! I can’t wait for everyone to try these in our cocoa Christmas morning. Thanks so much! :)

113. How long will these stay fresh in an air tight container?

• I would say they taste completely fresh for about 1 week. They may start to dry out a bit after that, but frankly, we never have them around much longer!

114. We’ve made these following your instructions several times over the last few years. They are great. My 4 year old son watched your video and said, “That’s easy! Let’s make some for my class for Valentine’s Day!” So we are–we swirled in red, yellow, green, and blue for rainbows. THANK YOU!

Also: I include these in my Xmas cookie plates as a gluten/dairy free treat for some of my allergen-prone friends.

115. WhAt Can I use instead of gelatin?